Sony Creative Software purchased by MAGIX Software
I was Surprised to find this morning an email stating:
Sony Creative Software Inc. (“SCS”) is pleased to announce that MAGIX Software GmbH (“MAGIX”) has purchased substantially all of the software products and other assets of SCS (“SCS Assets”).
As an avid Sony Vegas enthusiast and owner of various Sony Cameras including the new a6300 I found this news rather surprising:
According to Sony’s press release, the following software titles were sold to MAGIX Software GmbH as of May 20, 2016:
- Vegas Pro software including Vegas Pro, Vegas Pro Edit, Vegas Pro Suite, Vegas Pro Production Assistant, and Vegas Pro Connect
- DVD Architect Pro and DVD Architect Studio
- Movie Studio software including Movie Studio, Movie Studio Platinum, and Movie Studio Suite
- Sound Forge software including Sound Forge Pro, Sound Forge Pro Mac, Sound Forge Mac, and Sound Forge Audio Studio
- SpectraLayers Pro
- Audio Master Suite and Audio Master Suite Mac
- ACID software including ACID Pro, ACID Music Studio, and ACID Xpress
- Sound Series Production Music and Sound Series Loops & Samples
- ACIDplanet Web Site and Music Assets
- CD Architect
- Noise Reduction Audio Plug-in
The creative software suite of products works perfectly with Sony’s hardware including their top line Mirrorless Camera range – are they about sell off their audio visual hardware assets? Who knows. Sony will still distribute their Catalyst Creative suite as an alternative but from all accounts, it appears to be a component and scaled down version of their previous software. Its also subscription based – a concept which isn’t for everyone.
The contents of their email are as follows:
If you object to SCS providing your personal information to MAGIX as described in this notice, you may opt out of the data transfer here. To be effective, any such opt-out request must be received by June 23, 2016. NOTE: If you opt-out, your personal information will not be transferred to MAGIX as part of the sale, and MAGIX will be unable to provide certain customer service functions, such as looking up your past orders or serial numbers should you misplace them.
If you have any questions regarding MAGIX’s practices with respect to the treatment of personal information, please contact MAGIX at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate the opportunity to have served you and hope to have the opportunity to do so in the future. For further information, including a detailed product list, please visit the Sony Creative Software website.
Sony Creative Software Inc.